[sigtag-l] Call for Chapters - Handbook of Research on Social Dimensions of Semantic Technologies and Web Services
M. Manuela Cunha
mcruzcunha at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 09:59:05 EST 2008
CALL FOR CHAPTER PROPOSALS
Handbook of Research on Social Dimensions of Semantic Technologies and Web Services
A book edited by Maria Manuela Cunha, Eva Oliveira, António Tavares & Luís Ferreira
Polytechnic Institute of Cávado and Ave, Portugal
Submission deadline: March 01, 2008
We are pleased to invite you to contribute to the "Handbook of Research on Social Dimensions of Semantic Technologies and Web Services" within your field of expertise related to the handbook topics.
The mission and overall objectives of this Handbook of Research:
The mission of the proposed book is to discuss the main issues, challenges, opportunities and trends related to this new technology, semantic web, that can transform the way we use information and knowledge. The Handbook of Research on Social Dimensions of Semantic Technologies and Web Services will be a comprehensive publication which presents the social and technological dimensions of semantic technologies and web services, as well as the current developments, practical solutions, and applications in the field of semantic technologies and web services.
The overall objectives are:
- To discuss the importance of semantic web and emerging developments.
- To introduce the state-of-the-art technology supporting semantic web.
- To introduce and discuss the challenges and impact associated with semantic web, online communities, social web, etc. from the social perspective.
- To introduce recent technological developments and associated human / social implications.
- To introduce relevant and recent developments and solutions (academic and industrial) addressing the several dimensions and issues of this book.
- To discussion the impact of semantic technologies and web services on several domains (organizational, social and technological).
- To discuss challenges and opportunities in semantic technologies and web services.
The book is intended to support both an academic audience (teachers, researchers and students, mainly of post-graduated studies) and professionals (system developers and IT specialists).
The book intends to collect the most recent contributions of the social and technological dimensions of this largely multidisciplinary field called Web Science. Recommended topics include, but are not limited to the following:
1. The technological dimension that enables and supports the following: data capturing, storing, access, and exploitation; data composing and integration; and aggregating value from data. The technological dimension includes:
- The semantic web philosophy, concepts, frameworks and enabling architectures.
- The semantic web components (for example, standards and tools of XML, OWL, RSS); ontology alignment; semantic publishing; semantic translation; semantic data web browsers and end-points; semantic content extraction; reasoning supporting adaptive semantic collaboration; collaborative, community-driven ontology construction, etc.
- Current development trends and relevant R&D projects.
2. The social and human dimension which explores motivations, benefits and emergent effects of semantic web, and includes, for example:
- architectures of semantic participation; trust and privacy issues; quality analysis of socially generated semantic content; analysis of motivations and behaviour of social software users; knowledge acquisition and ontology management; the social semantic web (blogs, wikis, discussion lists); online communities.
3. The business and entrepreneurial perspective focusing on the added value of specific social semantic web applications
4. The impact, implications and challenges (social and technological) of semantic web:
- on individuals and communities; on learning; on organizations and business; on scientific knowledge; on research.
5. The ongoing developments and applications to:
- e-Business; knowledge management; e-Science; e-Learning; e-Community; e-Health.
6. Integration with other disciplines
Researchers and practitioners are invited to submit on or before March 01, 2008, a 2 page manuscript proposal clearly explaining the mission and concerns of the proposed chapter. Authors of accepted proposals will be notified by March 10 about the status of their proposals and sent chapter organization guidelines. Full chapters (8,000 to 10,000 words) are expected to be submitted by May 31, 2008. All submitted chapters will be reviewed on a double-blind review basis.
The book is scheduled to be published by IGI Global, http://www.igi-global.com, publisher of the IGI Publishing (formerly Idea Group Publishing), Information Science Publishing, IRM Press, CyberTech Publishing Information Science Reference (formerly Idea Group Reference), and Medical Information Science Reference imprints in 2010.
*** Submissions should be forwarded electronically (Word document as attachment) to handbook.semantic.web at gmail.com. LaTex cannot be accepted.
*** For any questions, please contact us: handbook.semantic.web at gmail.com
Best wishes for 2008!
Maria Manuela Cunha (mcunha at ipca.pt)
Eva F. Oliveira (eoliveira at ipca.pt)
António J. Tavares (ajtavares at ipca.pt)
Luís G. Ferreira (lufer at ipca.pt)
Polytechnic Institute of Cávado and Ave
Higher School of Technology
Urbanização Quinta da Formiga
Tel.: +351-253-802 260
Fax: +351-253-812 461
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the sigtag-l